Ever since José Mário dos Santos Mourinho Félix left Chelsea last Wednesday evening, I have resisted the temptation to come on this blog and pass judgement. After all, there has already been (and will continue to be) pages and pages of newspaper space, reams of TV newsreel and acres of website real estate given over to this topic. My opinion will add little to the debate and there are thousands better qualified than I to comment.
But I read something yesterday that caught my eye and, at the same time, reminded me of something I had mentioned in a previous post.
And it was this quote from Ron "Chopper" Harris, of Chelsea fame, when asked for some words of wisdom in relation to Mourinho's exit:
"Nothing surprises you in football these days, but this has come as a shock"
Now, as we all know, this type of comment from those involved in the game of football is fairly typical. I mentioned in an earlier post that Dartford FC have some very famous football quotes inscribed on the walls of their bar at Princes Park. This got me thinking about some of my own favourite quotes from our beloved game.
Here's my top 10:
1. "I couldn't settle in Italy, it was like living in a foreign country" [Ian Rush]
2. "And I honestly believe we can go all the way to Wembley unless somebody knocks us out" [Dave Bassett]
3. "Even when they had Moore, Hurst and Peters, West Ham's average finish was about 17th. It just shows how crap the other 8 of us were" [Harry Redknapp]
4. "There are two ways of getting the ball. One is from your own team-mates, and that's the only way" [Terry Venables]
5. "When you're 4-0 up you should never lose 7-1" [Laurie McMenemy]
6. "That's great, tell him he's Pele and get him back on." [John Lambie, Partick Thistle manager, when told a concussed striker did not know who he was]
7. "The Liverpool players are passing the cup down the line like a new born baby. Although when they are back in the dressing room they will probably fill it with champagne, something you should never do to a baby" [Alan Parry]
8. "More football later, but first let's see the goals from the Scottish Cup final" [Des Lynham]
9. "I never make predictions, and I never will" [Paul Gascoigne]
10. "Michael Owen - he's got the legs of a salmon" [Craig Brown]
So there you go, I've mentioned "The Special One". And some of the words that come out of the mouths of footballers and pundits alike are pretty special too. But don't quote me on that.